What Is the Smart Water Meter Program?
The City of Moose Jaw’s Smart Water Meter Project will begin in November, 2022.
The Smart Water Meter Project was approved by City Council in 2020, and Neptune Technologies has been selected as the contractor through the City’s Tender process. The $6.5-million project will entail replacing all old water meters in the city (approximately 12,500).
The replacement project will occur in phases, with each phase aligned with the City’s existing billing routes. Customers in the first selected route will receive the new meters beginning this November and letters to those customers will be issued in advance of the work to outline the process for replacement. The entire project is anticipated to be complete by the Fall of 2024.
To minimize disruption, Neptune will conduct a survey first for 3” and larger meters prior to replacement. A separate letter will be sent out in this regard.
For project scheduling purposes the City has been divided into six sections. The map below shows the order of installation, with properties in section 1 beginning the week of November 14
“The new smart meters will provide utility customers and the City multiple benefits,” said Jim Puffalt, City Manager. “The program will allow greater convenience, more efficient billing and eliminate risk.” Some of the highlights of the program include:
- Eliminates the need for Utility customers to submit water meter readings
- Eliminates the need for Utility employees to enter a property.
- Eliminates the current process of billing estimates as each billing will be accurate to the date the billing was processed.
- Eliminates the risk of a faulty reading and mistaken billings.
- Eliminates the risk of undetected water leaks.
For program inquiries, please contact:
- City of Moose Jaw Customer Service (306) 694-4400 (Billing inquiries)
- Neptune Technology 1 (800) 667-4387 (Technical inquiries/meters and installation)