The Sanitary Landfill is located along the northeastern edge of the City limits at 1802 Caribou St. East.
|Landfill Rates as of January 1, 2019 (Debit/Credit Card Payment Available)|
|Resident Rate||Non-Resident Rate|
|Standard Waste (per tonne)||$80.00||$100.00|
|Standard Waste (1/2 ton or small vehicle)||$10.00||$16.00|
|Separated Glass and Concrete||$69.00||$89.00|
|Special Handled Wastes - Asbestos, Medical, etc.
(flat fee for pit) plus fee per tonne
|($339.00) + $80.00||($368.00) + $100.00|
|Decontaminated Medical Waste (pit fee) Plus fee per tonne||$339.00 $69.00||$368.00 $89.00|
|Car Wash Waste (per tonne)||$69.00||$89.00|
Landfill Operating Hours (see temporary changes above):
|April 1st to October 31st|
|Monday to Saturday (Sunday)||7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. (10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.)|
|November 1st to March 31st|
|Monday to Saturday (Sunday)||7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.)|
Hazardous Waste can be considered any waste that has a warning symbol for Flammable, Explosive, Poisonous or Corrosive. Once a year the City holds a Household Hazardous Waste Collection Day. This program provides for proper environmentally safe disposal of hazardous wastes.
Tarped Loads City Bylaw #5156, Section 23, requires that all loads must be tarped and secured. The City of Moose Jaw enforces Bylaw #5156, which states that all vehicles transporting wastes or debris must be covered or securely fastened to prevent any material from escaping the vehicle. The City of Moose Jaw Police Service, as well as the Landfill Personnel, can issue violations for vehicles found to be traveling with unsecured loads. Help keep our community safe and clean by making sure that your load is secured!
The Landfill is closed Christmas and New Year's Day
- All vehicles MUST STOP and report to the weigh scale house attendant before entering and leaving the disposal area. Proof of residency is required.
- Follow the directions to the proper dumping area at the landfill site.
- Dumping of solid wastes anywhere else in or around the City is illegal with fines up to $100.00 for individuals and $5,000.00 for corporations.
- For reasons of safety, please keep children in vehicles while on the Sanitary Landfill Site.
- Prevent fire - thank you for NOT smoking at the Sanitary Landfill Site.
- If information or assistance is required on proper packaging and disposal of special wastes (i.e. asbestos, hydrocarbon products, chemicals, hazardous and infectious materials etc.), call the city Engineering Department at 694-4448.
- City Engineer's Office 694-4448
- City Landfill Scalehouse 692-9383
- The Saskatchewan Waste Reduction Council offers useful information on how to recycle certain items. Find out more here http://www.saskwastereduction.ca/recycle .
Landfill accounts require the completion of the Sanitary Landfill Application. All credit applications must be approved prior to use.
LIVE FROM THE LANDFILL
For Public Works Week in May 2020, an episode of the City's Notorious Jawcast was produced, with Darrin Stephanson, Director of Public Works & Utilities, describing our Landfill operations. We also played a game of "Solid or Waste" where Darrin dispelled some misinformation about how waste and recyling is handled. Here is the episode.