Each development project may have unique submission requirements and development standards depending on the nature of the project. Find information on common processes and projects below:

Information Sheets

Building a Home - Two complete and accurate paper sets of plans and specifications are required to be submitted together with a completed Building Permit Application and the required fee, which is currently $6 per $1,000 of construction costs. The values will be checked against a minimum value per square foot.

Building and Development Permit Application Requirements - This document outlines the drawing standards required by Provincial legislation for a complete permit application. Permit review times are dependent on the level of detail provided at the time of application.

Type A Projects: All projects related to one- and two-unit dwellings

Type B Projects: Multi-Unit Residential, Commercial, Institutional, or Industrial developments

Bylaw Enforcement - Bylaw Enforcement is the regulatory enforcement of Bylaws of the City of Moose Jaw. Enforcement is carried out by Bylaw Enforcement Officers, Building Officials, Moose Jaw Police Service and Moose Jaw Fire Department.

Change of Use or Occupancy - As a new business moving into an existing building, you must ensure that your space is safe for public use and meets zoning regulations. Therefore, you may need to upgrade the building. You will need to apply for a Building Permit if structural alterations or a change of use or occupancy will occur.

Commercial, Industrial or Multi-Unit Residential Development - Development Permits currently cost $100.00 plus $0.40 per $1000 of construction value. You may apply for a Development Permit prior to or at the same time as a Building Permit. Four complete and accurate paper sets of plans and specifications (or two paper copies and an electronic copy) are required to be submitted, together with a completed Building Permit Application and required fee, currently $6 per $1,000 of construction costs.

Concept Plan Information Sheet - What is a Concept Plan?

A Concept Plan is a detailed plan to implement the Official Community Plan policies for growth and development within a specific area, generally equivalent to a single neighbourhood unit. Once approved and adopted, the Concept Plan forms the basis for future subdivision and rezoning applications.

Deck Regulations Fact Sheet - A Building Permit is required for all decks over 0.4m (1’3”) in height or larger than 10m2 (107ft2).

Detached Garage Regulations & Accessory - A Building Permit is required for all buildings or structures larger than 10m2 (107ft2). Please note that only one accessory building under 107ft2 per property is exempt from obtaining a Building Permit; all other buildings require a permit. Even if a shed does not require a permit it still must meet all Zoning and Building Bylaw requirements.

Development Appeals - When a proposed development of land or subdivision contravenes the City's Zoning Bylaw, a zoning variance can be requested from the Development Appeals Board, which hears appeals regarding the following:

  • "Excessive" Development Standards attached to an approved Discretionary Use;
  • "Misapplication" of the Zoning Bylaw by the Development Officer while issuing a Development Permit; and
  • Refusal of a Development Application because it would contravene the City's Zoning Bylaw.

Discretionary Use - Pursuant to the City of Moose Jaw's Zoning Bylaw, land uses within the City boundaries are either permitted, discretionary, or prohibited. As discretionary land uses may potentially conflict with neighbouring land uses, they are allowed in specific zoning districts only with the approval of City Council.

Energy Code - On January 1, 2019, the Province of Saskatchewan is implementing the 2017 National Energy Code for Buildings (NECB) and Section 9.36 of the 2015 National Building Code. The new energy requirements will apply to building and development permit applications received on or after January 1, 2019.

Fences and Retaining Walls - A permit is not required to install a fence on private property; however, fences must comply with the requirements of City bylaws.

Floodway - A permit is not required to install a fence on private property; however, fences must comply with the requirements of City bylaws.

Heritage Designation - Why Designation?

Recognize – Designating a property as a Municipal Heritage Property publicly recognizes a property’s value to the community.

Protect - The Heritage Property Act allows City Council to designate any property as a Municipal Heritage Property, thereby providing protections from demolition or substantial alteration over time.

Good Stewardship - Heritage properties contribute to the identity of a community and should be recognized as assets. Designation encourages responsible and careful management which benefits the community for future generations.

Financial Assistance – Cost shared grants are available through the Saskatchewan Heritage Foundation for heritage conservation.

Home Occupation - Home Occupations are small scale businesses that operate out of a home in a residential neighbourhood. Home Occupations are intended to foster economic growth in the City by accommodating small/family business enterprises.

Land Rezoning - The City's Zoning Bylaw divides the municipality into zoning districts (land use zones). For each zoning district the specifies the uses and regulations that apply in each district. Land rezoning is the change in zoning designation of a property or area within a municipality to more appropriately reflect the actual use of land in a designated area.

Land Subdivision - Land subdivision means the division of a parcel of land into smaller lots or consolidation of two or more lots into one bigger parcel. When land is subdivided, a separate title will be issued for each of the new lots.

Minor Variance - A  "Minor Variance" is defined in the City of Moose Jaw Zoning Bylaw as "a variation of either the minimum required distance of a building from the site line; or the minimum required distance of a building to any other building on the site, to a maximum of 10% variance from the bylaw standard".

Moving Permit - Prior to a Moving Permit being granted, plans for the structure must meet certain structural or aesthetic standards. A Building Permit is needed for any required or proposed changes, as well as to place the structure at its new location.

Portable Tent Garage - To erect a portable tent garage legally on your property, you must apply for a building permit, and the plans must meet all requirements of the National Building Code.

Replacement Housing Incentive - The Replacement Housing Incentive Program was developed by the City of Moose Jaw and is intended to stimulate the construction of new housing. Properties with an existing house being demolished and a new single family residential house or duplex dwelling being constructed on the same site are eligible for the program.

RTM Fact Sheet - "Ready to Move" and Manufactured Dwellings are permitted in most residential districts. A building permit is required, and the dwelling must be certified by the manufacturer for compliance with CSA-A277 standard for use as a one-unit dwelling.

Secondary Suites - A Building/Development Permit must be obtained prior to construction of a secondary suite. Secondary suites must meet minimum requirements in City of Moose Jaw bylaws and the National Building Code.

Sign Permits - Sign permits are required to install new signs on a property or building in the City of Moose Jaw. Section 11 of the Zoning Bylaw regulates the size, number, location, and character of signage in the City. An application form and details of the sign size, materials, and construction must be submitted along with the application fee. Application fees have recently increased: Ground signs = $50.00 per sign / Wall signs = $25.00 per sign

Site Servicing - Development Permit and Building Permit applicants are required to provide sewer and water servicing to most new buildings. Once the plan and Development Permit is approved, the owner/developer must either request a quote from Public Works to install the services, or arrange for a City approved contractor to do the work through a Tri-Party Agreement. In all cases, the owner/developer is responsible for all costs relating to sewer and water installation, including excavation and restoration.

Slump Zoning - The City has designated Slump Zoning Districts, within City limits, designated by overlay zones s1 - Moderate/High Risk, and s2 - Low/Moderate Risk on the City Zoning Map.

Swimming Pools & Hot Tubs - Definition: Private swimming pool means an artificially created basin lined with concrete, fibreglass, vinyl, or similar material, which is at least 600mm in depth, and includes pools situated on top of the ground and hot tubs.

Tax Incentive Fact Sheet - The City has a number of Tax Incentive Programs which are currently available to property developers and owners.

Zoning and Building - A Zoning and Building Certificate is a document which states a particular property's status under the Zoning Bylaw, and provides a list of all building permits on the City's records, and any outstanding legal Orders the City may have on file.

© city of moose Jaw Saskatchewan. All Rights reserved. Site by AdSpark Communications

Any email address or contact form contained within this site shall not be used to send unsolicited email.