The Parks and Recreation Department operates and maintains many playgrounds and play spaces throughout the city. These facilities provide a positive and safe play environment for the community. During the summer months, trained playground directors are hired to supervise and co-ordinate playground activities, including water games, sporting events, and arts & crafts at select parks through the Playground Programs.
Parks with playgrounds or open play space are listed below. Parks that are dedicated athletic fields, such as baseball diamonds, are not listed. Parks that have a spray park are marked with an asterisk (*). Parks without a playground are marked with a carat (^).
- 1996 Summer Games Playground: 16th Ave SW (*)
- Belmont Park: Belmont Crescent (^)
- Bradley Street Park: 10th Ave SW & Bradley St
- Buffalo Shell Park: 9th Ave SW and Keith St (^)
- Keith Crescent: Keith Crescent
- Kinfield Park: 100 block Grandview St W
- New Rock Park: Bradley St and 10 th Ave SW
- Optimist Park: 5th Ave SW & Lillooet St W
- Parkhill Park: 10th Ave SW & Duffield St W
- Kinette Peter Pan Park: 265 Coteau St W
- Smith Park: 1200 block Hastings St
- Westheath Park: Wellington Dr and Spadina Dr
- Bell Park: 800 block Caribou St E (^, basketball court)
- Clark Gillies Park: Ross Crescent
- Crescent Park: 200 block Fairford St E*
- East End Park: 9th Ave. N.E. & Ominica St. E (*)
- Happy Valley: 1200 block of Wolfe Ave
- Hillcrest Park: 1200 block Willow Ave
- Town and Country Park: Town and Country Drive (^)
- 4th & Oxford: 400 Block Oxford St W
- 15th Avenue NW & Athabasca St W
- Caribou Heights: 1500 block Caribou St W
- Elgin Park: 1000 block 8th Ave NW (*)
- Bike Park: 1200 block High St W (^)
- Henleaze Park: 1100 block Henleaze Ave
- Hopkins Crescent: 1060 Hopkins Crescent
- Knights of Columbus: 1100 block Clifton Ave
- Moose Square: 600 block Stadacona St. W
- Kinsmen Regal Heights: 1400 block 13th Ave NW
- Skate Park: MacDonald St and 9th Ave NW (^)
- Spring Creek: Thatcher Dr and Simcoe St
- West End Park: 10th Ave NW and Athabasca St W
- Iron Bridge: Iron Bridge Drive
- Kiwaniland: 3 Dogwood Road
- Sunningdale Athletic Park: Daffodil Drive (off of Dogwood Road)
- Sunningdale Nature Park: West part of Wood Lily Drive (^)
- Veterans Peace Park: 1604 Admiral Crescent
- VLA Gate Park: west end of Normandy Drive
- Kinsmen West Park: between 11th Ave NW and Meier Drive
- Wood Lily Park: Kalmia Crescent (^)
Playground Renewal Program
The Parks and Recreation Department has developed a documented renewal plan for each playground site under the control of the City.
The objective of the program is to:
- Identify the current state of City playgrounds as well as opportunities to expand playground offerings through a documented and prioritized renewal program.
- Ensure that effective playground planning and management practices are in place.
- Make sure that playground renewal strongly considers accessibility and inclusivity and that future playgrounds are designed to meet the needs of the local area and community as a whole.
- Consider an appropriate mix of playground amenities to suit all ages and abilities.
- Provide demographic information to assist with playground renewal decision making.
- Ensure there is a focus on improving the overall service provision offered at playground locations and that the “play” experience extends beyond the playground unit.
A link to the Playground Renewal Plan is included below which includes the projected timelines for renewal projects at each site.