November 9, 2022
MOOSE JAW – The City of Moose Jaw is pleased to announce that construction at all planned sites in the 2022 Water Main Replacement Program has been completed, with a record 3.47 kilometers of cast iron replaced, in addition to associated road rehabilitation.
“This is the most cast-iron pipe replaced in a single construction year since the program began in 2016, and it’s the first time in project history that all planned work was completed in the same calendar year,” said Jim Puffalt, City Manager. “The successes are a result of changes made in 2019 to move to in-house project design and to adjust our Budget cycle to finalize budgets before Christmas. That allowed the Tender process to begin earlier than before and has resulted in us maximizing time available in our short construction season.”
In 2022, brand-new PVC water pipe was installed, and roads remediated, at the following locations:
- 1st Ave NW from Caribou St. to Laurier St. 890m of PVC water line was installed, and 950m of road was remediated.
- Grandview St. E from Main St. S to 1st Ave SE and Grandview St. E from Main St. S to 1st Ave SE. 795m of PVC water line was installed, and 650m of road was remediated.
- Saskatchewan St. E from Main St. to 3rd NE. 475m of PVC water line was installed, and 420m of road was remediated.
- Grandview St. from 6th Ave SW – 10th Ave SW. 1010m of new PVC pipe was installed and 985m of road was remediated.
- Athabasca St. E from 2nd Ave NE to 3rd Ave NE – 190m of new PVC pipe was installed. Asphalt overlay to be deferred at this time due to other potential storm infrastructure work at that location.
- 2nd Ave NE Athabasca St. E to Hochelaga St. E – 110m of new PVC pipe was installed and 90m of road was remediated.
The City of Moose Jaw thank all affected property owners, residents and businesses for their patience during construction as well as the NIS Contractors for their commitment to the project.