April 14, 2020
Moose Jaw – At the regular meeting of Moose Jaw City Council on Monday, April 13, Council approved the following economic measures in response to the COVID-19 pandemic:
- Late payment Penalties that apply to property taxes that are unpaid have been waived by the City through to September 30, 2020.
- No late payment charges for Utility bills (recycling, garbage collection, water and sewer services) between April 1 and September 30, 2020.
- City Administration will review the City’s instalment payment programs (TIPPS and WIPPS) for property taxes and water/sewer in an effort to make the programs more flexible and accommodating for residents and businesses.
- Tax and utility bills will be sent with the adjusted payment terms noted.
- $19.9 million of Priority Capital projects that can be funded from current cash flows will move forward (Water Main Replacement, Buffalo Pound Water Treatment Plant electrical upgrades). Non-essential projects totaling $29.4 million have been deferred. Council will need to approve any deferred projects before they move forward.
- Council approved of the current measures taken (including facility closures, staffing reductions and scaled-back Transit service) that are saving almost $250,000 per month. A further $975,000 in expenditure reductions would take place if current restrictions on public gatherings and social distancing continue through summer.
- All parking meter fees waived effective April 14, 2020.
- Council voted to reopen the 2020 Budget to look for additional operational savings that may allow the City to reduce the current 2020 mill rate increase of 2.30% in an effort to provide some financial relief to our residents and businesses.
In addition to the COVID-19 measures:
- Council voted to extend the deadline for a second land deposit from Canadian Tire until January 15, 2021 provided the retailer pays a $200,000 non-refundable deposit.
- The new Boulevard Bylaw (No. 5610) was given third and final reading. The new Bylaw reflects current standards and practices and provides greater clarity and consistency.