Nominations Open For 2020 Moose Jaw Heritage Awards
January 8, 2021
MOOSE JAW – Nominations are being accepted for the 2020 City of Moose Jaw Heritage Advisory Committee Heritage Awards.
Each year the City’s Heritage Advisory Committee recognizes individuals and business owners in the following categories*:
- Stewardship – Long term care of a heritage property. Protecting, maintaining and/or stabilizing the existing materials, form and integrity of a heritage place while protecting its heritage value.
- Restoration – Accurately revealing, recovering or representing the state of a historic place as it appeared at a particular period in its history, while protecting its heritage value.
- Adaptive Reuse – Making possible the continuing or compatible contemporary use of a historic place, through repair, alterations, and/or additions while protecting its heritage value.
- Advocacy/Heritage Education – Recognizes the efforts of individuals or groups that are advocating heritage or promoting the conservation of a heritage site, or are increasing public awareness of heritage issues.
- Sympathetic New Construction – Recognizes new design that respects the heritage character of an associated property, immediate context or neighbourhood. This takes into consideration the compatibility of the new buildings or additions with the heritage character of the streetscape, setting or neighbourhood in terms of architectural design, scale, form, materials and minimal intervention.
- Heritage Tradespeople/craftspeople – Recognizes the skills of an individual or team in trades and craft professions relative to a heritage conservation project.
*Depending on nominations there may or may not be a winner selected in every category.
Nomination forms are available for download with this link on the City’s website or can be picked up from the City Clerk/Solicitor’s office, 2nd floor, Moose Jaw City Hall. Forms can be dropped off at the Clerk/Solicitor’s office. The City will also accept nominations via email that contain all required information from the nomination form. They may be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Nomination deadline is 5:00 p.m. Tuesday, January 19, 2021.
The awards will be presented virtually in February.