July 25, 2023
Moose Jaw, SK – The City of Moose Jaw is pleased to provide a recap of highlights from the July 24, 2023, regular meeting of Moose Jaw City Council.
- Council approved a Change Order to allocate $430,000.00 from the Public Works Operating Budgets to allow Engineering Services to resolve utility repair cuts throughout the city. Utility cuts refer to locations where asphalt and concrete have been removed to repair underground infrastructure (water main breaks, sewer repairs, hydrant and valve replacement, etc.). The City has engaged Cypress Paving to perform this work through the rest of the 2023 construction season.
- Council approved the appointment of Cynthia Starchuk as a Building Official.
- Council received a report from the Moose Jaw Events Centre recapping the 2023 World Para Ice Hockey Championships that were hosted in Moose Jaw May 29-June 5. It was the first time this event had ever been held in Canada, with highlights including:
- 15,000 people attended.
- Eight countries were represented, including 275 athletes, officials, delegates and support staff.
- Over 2500 room nights were booked just for event-related participants, not counting family, friends and tourists/attendees.
- Event legacy includes the arena conversion kit staying in Moose Jaw for future para hockey events.
- Partnership with local schools and overall community engagement.
- Indigenous engagement through drumming at the opening ceremonies, Land Acknowledgements and local Indigenous artists creating the Player of the Game and Stakeholder artwork.
- Over 135 local volunteers.
- Execution of the event by Moose Jaw Events Centre staff.
The next regular meeting of Moose Jaw City Council is Monday, August 14, 2023. For videos and minutes from previous Council meetings, and to see future agendas, visit the City Council Minutes and Meetings page on the City’s website, www.MooseJaw.ca.