MOOSE JAW – The City of Moose Jaw Heritage Advisory Committee is proud to launch the “Veterans Banner Program” in 2023.
This initiative provides an opportunity to recognize our local community members who have served Canada while acknowledging the sacrifices they have made so we can continue to enjoy the freedoms we have today.
“This initiative has been successful in other communities across Canada and we are excited to give our community this opportunity to honour local Veterans,” said John Bye, Heritage Advisory Committee Chairperson.
As part of this project, a maximum of 40 Veterans banners will be strategically placed on streetlight poles along Main Street and in the downtown core for the month of November.
The specific objectives and goals of the program are:
- to engage our community in honouring our local veterans, both past and present, in a colorful and vibrant way as we move towards Remembrance Day;
- to help promote remembrance in our community;
- to help educate students and citizens on the faces and stories of the service of our Veterans; and
- to help ensure recognition and remembrance in our future generations.
- Any individual, family, organization, or company may purchase a banner on behalf of a veteran. Each banner will cost $330.00 and will be displayed for a 3-year term. Cost includes the production of the banner, shipping, and the annual installation and removal of the banners.
The application deadline is April 6, 2023, and there will be a review of applicants to follow, to ensure all program guidelines have been met. For full program details, including the application form, visit: www.moosejaw.ca/veteranbanners.
The program is an initiative of the City’s Heritage Advisory Committee and is supported by the City of Moose Jaw, the Royal Canadian Legion, ANAVETS and the Saskatchewan Dragoons.