August 24, 2021
MOOSE JAW – On Wednesday, September 1 (weather permitting) the City of Moose Jaw will start its Boulevard Elm Tree Basal Spraying Program. This program is implemented to reduce the population of elm bark beetles and therefore reduce the spread of Dutch Elm Disease.
The chemical being used is Pyrate 480 EC and it will be applied to the bottom 50 cm of City-owned elm trees only. The chemical will be applied under low pressure, minimizing the possibility of drift.
Prior to spraying, notices in the area will be posted, adjacent residents will be notified and trees to be sprayed will be marked with a coloured dot.
Parks and Recreation will be spraying city owned trees in the following areas:
- Victoria Heights (Normandy Drive, Admiral Cres, Bingham Road, Marshal Cres, General Cres)
- MacDonald St to Laurier St, from 9th Ave NW to Main St N
- MacDonald St to Manitoba St W, from 4th Ave NW to Main St N
- Caribou St E to Manitoba St E, from Main St N to Corsterphine Avenue
- Coteau St W to City Limits from 12th Ave SW to 9th Ave SW
- Coteau St W to Valleyview Dr/Keith Cres from 9th Ave SW to 4th Ave SW
- Coteau St W to Grandview St W from 4th Ave SW to Main St S
Please contact a licensed pesticide applicator if you wish to have your private elm trees sprayed. If all elm trees in the city were sprayed, the spread of Dutch Elm Disease could be reduced by 97%.
If residents have further questions or concerns, call Parks and Recreation at: 306-694-4447 or submit an inquiry through the free City of Moose Jaw app.