Heritage Advisory Committee
Structure: Comprised of the following members:
- the Mayor (ex-officio);
- one member of City Council;
- one person nominated by the Moose Jaw and District Chamber of Commerce;
- four persons residing in Moose Jaw.
Purpose: To act in an advisory role for the City, the Committee provides the City with policy advice and recommendations on matters respecting:
- any matter arising out of The Heritage Property Act;
- designation of municipal heritage properties or districts;
- the development or alteration of heritage properties; and
- any other heritage property related matter that is referred to the Committee.
Term of Office: Two Years, commencing January 1
HERITAGE ADVISORY COMMITTEE HERITAGE AWARDS
Nominations are being accepted for the 2020 City of Moose Jaw Heritage Advisory Committee Heritage Awards. View and download the nomination form here.
Each year the City’s Heritage Advisory Committee recognizes individuals and business owners in the following categories:
- Stewardship – Long term care of a heritage property. Protecting, maintaining and/or stabilizing the existing materials, form and integrity of a heritage place while protecting its heritage value.
- Restoration - Accurately revealing, recovering or representing the state of a historic place as it appeared at a particular period in its history, while protecting its heritage value.
- Adaptive Reuse - Making possible the continuing or compatible contemporary use of a historic place, through repair, alterations, and/or additions while protecting its heritage value.
- Advocacy/Heritage Education - Recognizes the efforts of individuals or groups that are advocating heritage or promoting the conservation of a heritage site, or are increasing public awareness of heritage issues.
- Sympathetic New Construction - Recognizes new design that respects the heritage character of an associated property, immediate context or neighbourhood. This takes into consideration the compatibility of the new buildings or additions with the heritage character of the streetscape, setting or neighbourhood in terms of architectural design, scale, form, materials and minimal intervention.
- Heritage Tradespeople/craftspeople – Recognizes the skills of an individual or team in trades and craft professions relative to a heritage conservation project.
The 2020 Heritage Advisory Awards will be presented virtually in February.